Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Glass Castle: A Memoir Reviewed

The Glass Castle: A Memoir The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls

My review


rating: 4 of 5 stars
When I first started reading this book, I had some trouble getting into it. The young narrator used language suited to her age, and I took a few pages to adjust. However, the book soon swept me up in the crazy journey of the Walls family.

I didn't have an issue with the believability of the story, although some of the events that happened to the children over the course of the novel were almost beyond belief. I felt close to the struggles of Jeannette and her siblings. I wanted to see them succeed at the end of the book, to triumph over the the hardships of poverty brought on by an alcoholic, idealistic father and an enabling, self-absorbed mother. The middle section was a bit slow, with grim event after grim event piled on, almost more than I could take. But by the last section the book absorbed me completely until I couldn't put it down.

It's funny, I felt the tiniest hint of longing as I read this book. I know that it must have been a terrible experience for Jeannette, and it's amazing that all the children even survived their childhood, but at the same time most of them came out of it with an amazing determination and drive. Many children in our modern times don't receive the chance to play outside and learn about the dangers of the world first hand, and quite a few end up just kind of floating around because of it.

This is definitely a good, unique read. Check it out if you get a chance!

View all my reviews.

4 comments:

Karen Kirkpatrick said...

Emma, It's my first visit to your blog, but won't be my last! I especially enjoyed the interviews with Jason and Karen.

Anonymous said...

A compelling review, Emma. I'll be stopping by more often to this blog.

Marvin D Wilson
blogs at: http://inspiritandtruths.blogspot.com/
eye twitter 2 - http://twitter.com/Paize_Fiddler

Unknown said...

Thanks guys!

I'm thinking of putting more reviews on my blog. Which means I need to read more! Of course, that's probably not a bad thing; they say that if you're a writer you should read a lot to keep your skills honed. Also, if you're interested, I use GoodReads for my reviews. You can copy your reviews and paste them into your blog posts, complete with pretty cover art and everything. While you're there, add me to your group!

www.goodreads.com

Laurie Paulsen said...

hey, emma!
nice review--i'd heard this book was written well, but haven't yet gotten to reading it. sounds like a compelling read. :)
i'm all for posting regular reviews--great idea!
and i've been to goodreads--i need to get back.
thanks for your blog--will be back!