Friday, February 19, 2010

Squidoo Lens-A-Day Challenge

Now that I'm getting more serious about the writing thing, I realize that the most important thing for me to do is to write. A lot. And preferably, to write things that other people will see, because that forces me to be on top of my game.

That's why I love Squidoo. Squidoo is a site that provides users with a template to easily generate content on the web. It also gives users tools to add all sorts of fun modules to their sites, or "lenses" as they're called in the Squidverse.

And the best part is, if you get really good at it, you can make money! There are two ways to earn money on Squidoo. All the ad revenue generated by the website goes into a big pot, and half of that goes directly to the writers, or "lensmasters." In addition, some of the modules (such as the Amazon module) give you cash if people follow the links and buy the products.

I've been getting more into Squidoo lately, for three reason:

1.) Constantly writing content improves my writing skills.

2.) I can use the lenses to promote my other sites and publications.

3.) Extra income is, of course, sublime.

And so, I've joined the current Lens-A-Day-Challenge, "Get Cracking" with Bonnie and Robin on Squidoo. Here are my results from the past five days of tireless work:

Challenge: Write about a personal "first."
Result: Things for your First Apartment

Challenge: Write about a local feast or fesival.
Result: Maple Sugarin' Festival: Westminster, MD

Challenge: Write about something related to Saint Patrick's Day.
Result: The Perfect Guinness

Challenge: Write about a health story.
Result: Acupuncture Frequency for Your Whole Health

Challenge: Write about a TV show from your youth.
Result: Rebooting the ReBoot Cartoon

I also made a handy place to keep track of my progress.

Definitrly check out Squidoo if you think it might be for you. And while you're there, stop by and check me out, too!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

HI Emma,

you left feedback on one my my lens yesterday. Thanks o)

I am up for the same challenge and was hoping to create two lens a day bit I think I got a little over excited and a going to focus on one. I will be seeing your around. Have a great day.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by! Two is a lot for one day. You really can't do much else if you're doing that. One a day is still ridiculously awesome!

ZZ Auto Wreckers said...

I like the valuable information you provide on your articles.
Wreckers near me