Monday, October 13, 2008

Upcoming Event: Capclave! And Thanks to Brendan

So, next on my schedule of upcoming events is Capclave, the science fiction literary convention for the Washington, D.C. area. I really would like to go to this, because I haven't been to a science fiction/fantasy convetion yet even though fantasy is my preferred genre to read and write. Capclave is sponsored by the WSFA (Washington Science Fiction Association). The honored guests are James Morrow, multi-published author and proponent of Tolkien in schools, and Michael Dirda, a noted Pulitzer Prize winning-critic.

Despite my interest in this event, I have to say I'm a little nervous about the whole thing.

The convention is in Rockville, MD, which is about an hour and a half drive from my house. I'm not planning on getting a hotel, so that will be a lot of driving back and forth. And the schedule is packed with presentations, workshops, readings, and a slew of other activities involving well-known personalities from the industry who I do not know and will most likely embarrass myself in front of!

Excitement and fear - the perfect combination for an enlightening experience. I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts or experiences to share about Capclave. It would help to make me feel a little less worried!

Also, I wanted to thank Brendan for stopping by the other day and commenting on my blog post about inventing words using morphemes. Brendan is an old college friend who runs a fascinating blog about artificial intelligence and social science. He made an excellent point that I didn't really address in the post: well-known morphemes such as 'hydro' (water) are more likely to make an invented word understandable to most people. How do you find out if a morpheme adds to or detracts from your story? I suggest you test out your invented words on people and see what they say!
Post a Comment