Thursday, August 21, 2008

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan Reviewed

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See


My review


rating: 5 of 5 stars
Lisa See is AMAZING! Rarely have I come across a book that so completely immersed me in a world of the author's creation. Back in my reading heyday (when summer vacation meant three full months of leisure time) I would have finished it in a night; as it was, it took me a few sittings, but I always hated putting the book down. I picked up this book because of the reading requirement for a book group I'm joining at my local library, and I wasn't disappointed. Lisa See's usage of style and language fit in beautifully with her historical Chinese setting. A word of warning, though - the book gets a bit graphic in some of the scenes, so just be prepared. I have a somewhat weak stomach myself, but I thought those scenes really made the book, and I appreciated the author's candor in not sugar-coating them. Definitely a must-read!


View all my reviews.

No comments: