Thursday, July 10, 2008

More Google Tips For Writers



Those of you in the know know the importance of regularly checking up on yourself using Google (or the internet search engine of your choice). It's good to know what other people are reading about you and others who share your name. For example, when I Google my name, I find out that I'm a Dairy Princess in Oregon. Not really, but at least now I know what's going on when someone confuses me with that other Emma Larkins. And I definitely don't want to be the last one to find out that someone is posting embarrassing pictures of me!

I always Google the title ideas for my stories and novels. True, my working title may not end up as the final title if the book gets published. But when I'm promoting my works in progress, I want people to easily find information on them, and not have to sift through loads of non-applicable entries.

It's probably a good idea to search for the names of your characters as well. I know that you get the disclaimer at the beginning of the novel that states that all of the names and events are made up, but it's still preferable not to use names of existing senators or famous Bollywood actors (unless you really want to stir up some controversy).

No comments: