Friday, April 18, 2008

Ultimate Frisbee Season!

The smell of grass is in the air, the cherry trees are blossoming, and in the Mid Atlantic region it's that time of year again - time to lace up the cleats, pack up your light and dark shirts, and head out to throw some disc!

I've been playing Ultimate Frisbee for about four years now. I can honestly say, I've never been happier. I was never much of an athlete through elementary and high school (except for a couple of years of track and field). Writing can sometimes lend itself to a somewhat sedentary, secluded lifestyle, and having the balance of an active team sport is all but indispensable to me.

Others will disagree, I'm sure, but Ultimate is the ultimate sport. I mean, you can tell just by looking at the name. The threshold to entry is very low; all you need is a pair of running shoes, running shorts, a light and dark shirt, and a friend with a disc and cones. You can get a decent disc from a toy store for less than $5. In addition, just about anyone can throw a frisbee. I've had trouble with baseballs, softballs, basketballs, footballs, and just about every kind of ball out there. The "ball" shape just doesn't seem like it's meant to fly. As Stancil Johnson says, "When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a frisbee." I could get a decent pass off every now and then on my very first day. Pickup games, unless you're in an intense Ultimate region such as California, tend to be very casual. All ages are welcome, and no one will be mocked or turned aside from lack of skill. And then, of course, there's the Spirit of the Game. There are no referees; calls are made by the players themselves, and in my experience, the players are always more than fair.

If that doesn't sound like heaven, I don't know what does. I can't wait until next week! If you live anywhere near Eldersburg, check out Freedom Ultimate Now.

No comments: